Summary: The Final Cut Pro X won’t deal with 4K videos instantly- having to wait for rendering. The easy workaround is to transcode 4K clips to a more “edit” friendly codec- Apple ProRes for FCP X. Here is how.
The Red digital cinema camera company is an American company that manufactures professional-grade digital cinematography and photography tools. Red cameras are very modular and support raw recording of stills and video, in the case of the RED Epic-M up to 6K resolution.
Although it has been possible to create 4K timelines in Final Cut Pro X, smooth editing of 4K footage in FCP X still requires instant playback of more than one stream of video footage at once. Up until now, one strategy of dealing with 4K high quality video on systems that are too slow: wait for the computer the render the video to a single combined clip which can then be played back.
Currently, most 4K recordings are recorded in MXF/RAW/XAVC/XAVC-S format. When you got a pile of 4K files from different source, there’s no luck FCP X can support all your 4K media. To fix the problem, you can use Log and Transfer or Log and Capture to import 4K Red files to FCP X for editing, but don’t expect it to result in top quality. If you want to avoid the long-time rendering and poor video quality, another solution is to convert 4K Red files to ProRes, which is natively supported by FCP X, with the assistance of Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac. It can help you do the conversion work with maximum editing quality and efficiency.
- Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.com/hd-video-converter-mac/
- Amazon Store Download: http://www.amazon.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter-Mac-Download/dp/B00QI9GNZS
- AppStore Download: https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/pavtube-hd-video-converter/id502792488?mt=12
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-HD-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-76177786.html
How to import 4K Red files to FCP X for editing?
Step 1: Download and have a quick installation. The trial version will have a watermark on your converted files. Except for that, there are no time limitation, no virus, and no unnecessary bundle apps while downloading. After that, click “Add Video” button to load your 4K Red files. You can load several files at once thanks to “Add from folder” button.
Step 2: Click the “Format” bar to get the drop-down menu and you can get “Final Cut Pro”. Choose “Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov)” as output format.
Step 3: It’s optional to edit video files before converting. If you want to do some edit work, just hit the clip first, and then click “Edit selected task” button. As it’s shown to us, the edit function is sufficient for you to make your videos wonderful.
Step 4: Click “Convert” button on the bottom of the screen to start 4K Red files to ProRes 422 MOV conversion process. The amount of time it takes will vary based on your system’s hardware and the quality settings you selected.
Conclusion: When the conversion is done, you can click “Open” button to get the generated video files. Now, you can edit 4K Red files in FCP X freely.
- Import Nabi Square HD 4K Video to Avid MC for Editing
- Convert GoPro Camera Video for Streaming to DVD Player
- Best Method to Convert AVI to PS4 for Playing
- Make Panasonic DMC-G7 4K MP4 Compatible with FCP X
- How to Fix MTS to Sony Movie Studio 10/11/12/13 Incompatible Issues?
- Best Way to Edit PJ275 1080/60p AVCHD in Premiere Pro
- Smoothly Play Canon/Panasonic/Sony MXF on VLC Player